Apply for a Gap Cover Quote on a Public Holiday
December 19, 2021
Yes, you can apply for a gap cover quote even if it’s a public holiday in South Africa. At the bottom of this page is a list of all the public holidays in SA, for your convenience.
A quick recap as to what gap cover is and some points you need to know before signing up:
- The objective of gap cover is to make sure you never have to make a medical co-payment. The purpose is to cover “the gap” between the amounts that appear on your medical bills and the amounts that your medical scheme is prepared to pay.
- Only medical scheme members qualify for medical gap cover
- One policy covers everyone on your medical aid
- Any medical scheme qualifies you for gap cover. (Check this list here to make sure you are on a legitimate medical aid.)
- Short-term insurance companies offer medical gap cover, not the medical schemes themselves. That would be against the law.
- Gap cover is simple. There are only a couple of options to choose from, which will be a relief to anyone who has had to spend time selecting a medical aid plan, which is really difficult because there are so many variations and levels.
- There are several firms offering gap insurance (also called top-up cover and shortfall insurance). these include Zestlife, Turnberry and Stratum
- Gap cover is really inexpensive. The maximum policy cost at Zestlife, for instance, is R619 per month. Here is Zestlife’s 2023 premium schedule:
Below is a list of every public holiday celebrated in South Africa.
|New Year’s Day –
||Wed, 01 Jan 2020
|Human Rights Day
||Sat, 21 Mar 2020
||Fri, 10 Apr 2020
||Mon, 13 Apr 2020
||Mon, 27 Apr 2020
|International Workers’ Day
||Fri, 01 May 2020
|Youth Day (in South Africa)
||Tue, 16 Jun 2020
|National Women’s Day
||Mon, 10 Aug 2020
||Thu, 24 Sep 2020
|Day of Reconciliation
||Wed, 16 Dec 2020
||Fri, 25 Dec 2020
||Sat, 26 Dec 2020
All info was correct at time of publishing