Sign Up Anytime for Gap Cover
December 18, 2021
Sign up anytime for gap cover day or night. Start the process here, by completing and submitting the form on this page.
A Reminder About What Gap Cover Is
Here are a number of points about gap cover (also called top-up cover or shortfall insurance):
- The type of gap cover we are talking about relates to medical scheme membership. (There is also gap cover for car owners but that’s a whole other ballgame.)
- You can only take out medical gap cover in South Africa if you are a member “in good standing” of a registered medical scheme. Note that having health insurance such as you get from Clientele is NOT medical aid. Check this list to ensure you are are on a registered medical aid.
- If you and your family are on a medical aid, you have probably experienced co-payments. These arise when your medical aid savings account runs out of funds, or when your medical aid refuses to pay the full medical bills you incur. That’s because medical schemes work according to internal tariff lists.
- Depending on which plan you are on, they pay only 100%, 200% etc. of the tariff list amount. Unfortunately, the actual bills from hospitals and specialists sometimes amount to over 600% of the listed tariff amount, leaving the patient to pick up the rest of the tab. Medical aids call this gap a “co-payment” which sounds all fine and dandy, until you realise that the amount you owe could be in the tens of thousands of rand.
- Signing up for a single gap cover policy means your insure the co-payments of everyone on your medical aid, e.g. spouse and children.
- Best of all, gap cover is affordable. Just look at Zestlife’s monthly premiums for 2024 below!
You can sign up anytime of year for gap cover. You don’t have to wait for the end of the calendar year. Us the form on this page to contact us so we can send you a quote and help you to sign up.
All info was correct at time of publishing