Medgap insurance saves you money on co-payments

December 18, 2021

Here is how Medgap can help you avoid out-of-pocket medical expenses, if you belong to a South African medical scheme.

The Council for Medical Schemes always suggests a yearly medical aid rate which is known as the base rate.

This is what all medical specialists can charge for their procedures. However, they charge way over this amount. This is the base rate that can be charged by all medical practitioners for medical procedures.

The character of medical aid isn’t a giving one

However, medical practitioners are free to charge whatever they want for their services. Should your provider charge more, it will be your responsibility to cover the shortfall.


These same medical professionals can also request certain procedures. These procedures will require a co-payment upfront before they proceed with the treatment you require,

Medical procedures are expensive. This can mean you first paying a costly bill before treatment can even get underway.

Gap cover from Medgap

  • Medgap has partnered with Guardrisk Insurance Company. They offer customised risk financing solutions to customers. The health and the financial wellness of its clients is what its focus is on.
  • The company has also partnered with Bonitas. Gap cover is easier to buy with the Bonitas Medgap offer. Other partners include Health Print, corporate groups, advisers and individual clients.
  • They work hand in hand with medical schemes to ensure an effortless claim experience.
  • Medgap’s gap cover is made up of 3 plans – Medgap Primary, Medgap Supreme and Medgap Millennial. The product Millennial is cover for young people from 18 to 29 years of age. The cover offers both the Primary and Supreme options at a competitive rate.
  • Medgap’s Supreme choice is the ultimate cover. It offers far more benefits of importance than the Primary plan.
  • Medgap Supreme includes benefits for co-payments, an oncology extender benefit as well as a host of lump-sum benefits.


More about Medgap

  • With oncology treatment, medical schemes impose a co-payment of up to 20% once you reach the benefit limit for the year. Medgap, on the other hand, covers the co-payments up to 20%.
  • The oncology extender benefit is much the same. If the insured reaches their medical scheme’s annual limit for treatment and the medical scheme doesn’t offer any further cover for the year, MedGap pays the first 20% of treatment costs. The other 80% of costs for treatment will be for the insured to pay. Your overall limit for co-payments and shortfalls is capped at a certain amount.
  • Another very useful benefit is the Accidental Lump sum benefit which Supreme policy members can benefit from. The benefit is available at no additional cost. If the main policy holder dies or becomes disabled in any way because of an accident, Medgap, at death, will pay your estate or you will receive a fixed sum of money.
  • Medgap offers a host of benefits and for all less than R200 a month.
  • If you are interested in joining Medgap, you can simply SMS them and they will call you back to answer your queries.


Benefits for You

Medgap has so many existing policyholders who have already benefited from having their gap cover.

If you don’t have cover, they are inviting you to join them today, because the truth is, without gap cover, you will never have peace of mind.

Get your complimentary quote by completing
and submitting the form on this page. Act now!


All info was correct at time of publishing